Richard E. Hall
Attorney & Of Counsel
1087 W River Street, Suite 300
Boise, ID 83702
Rich Inducted into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers
The International Academy of Trial Lawyers limits membership to 500 Fellows from the United States. The Academy seeks out, identifies, acknowledges and honors those who have achieved a career of excellence through demonstrated skill and ability in jury trials, trials before the court, and appellate practice. The Academy invites only lawyers who have attained the highest level of advocacy. Mr. Hall has been evaluated by his colleagues and the judges in his jurisdiction, and has been highly recommended by them as possessing these qualifications and characteristics.
Rich Voted “Lawyer of the Year” Four Years Running
Rich Hall of Duke Scanlan & Hall repeats as Boise’s Lawyer of the Year in the category of Medical Malpractice-Defense. Hall has been so designated for 2014 after also being named Boise’s Lawyer of the Year in 2011, 2012 and 2013 in the same category. In 2010, Rich was named Boise Lawyer of the Year in the category of Insurance Law and in 2009 he was named Lawyer of the Year in Personal Injury Litigation. Lawyers honored as Lawyer of the Year are selected based on exhaustive peer-review assessments. Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among leading lawyers in the same community and same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism and their integrity. Best Lawyers also named Hall to a Best Lawyer rating in the Bet the Company, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation-Environmental and Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants.
Rich Hall – One of Idaho’s Best Trial Lawyers
Richard E. Hall, whose vast experience and superb record of success for his clients spans more than 40 years in Idaho, is widely regarded as one of the very best civil trial lawyers in the state.
Mr. Hall and his Defendant Clients have successfully prevailed in 25 of his last 27 verdicts and court trials. These cases have included defense of four brain damaged baby cases, four wrongful death cases and other serious injury cases.
In addition to medical malpractice defense, Rich has handled insurance coverage and alleged bad faith cases, cases involving commercial fraud, lender liability, legal and architectural malpractice, automobile, drug product and medical device liability cases, engineering and construction cases, toxic tort, corporate director and officer liability and stock broker liability cases.
Licensed in both Idaho and the State of Washington, Mr. Hall has tried cases in both states. He also has had an extensive appellate practice including a number of Idaho Supreme Court Opinions: Swallow v. Blahd, 138 Idaho 589, 67 P.3d 68 (2003); Dulaney v. Saint Alphonsus, et al., 137 Idaho 160, 45 P.3d 816 (2002); Rudd v. Merritt, 138 Idaho 526, 66 P.3d 230 (2003); Lovey v. Regence BlueShield of Idaho, 139 Idaho 37, 72 P.3d 877 (2003); and, Doe v. Boy Scouts of America, 148 Idaho 427, 224 P.3d 494 (2009). Mr. Hall’s clients prevailed in each of those decisions.
Mr. Hall was a founding partner and President of the Hall, Farley, Oberrecht & Blanton law firm and is now a founder of Duke Scanlan Hall.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers (2013)
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell- “Top Rated Lawyer in Healthcare” (2013)
- Best Lawyers – Boise – Medical Malpractice “Lawyer of the Year” (2012/2013)
- Best Lawyers – Boise – Insurance “Lawyer of the Year” (2011/2014/2018)
- Best Lawyers – Boise – Personal Injury Defense “Lawyer of the Year” (2010)
- Recognized in “Best Lawyers In America” (various categories 1993-present)
- Fellow American College of Trial Lawyers (1991)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (1984)
- Chambers USA described as “the best medical malpractice attorney in Idaho — if not beyond.”
- Super Lawyers, ranked in Top 75 Mountain States Lawyers
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”). Served on Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Chairman of Corporate Counsel Initiative Committee and the Medical Malpractice section, 2007-2013.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel – President of the FDCC Federation Foundation (“FDCC”)
- Past President of the American Board of Trial Advocates Idaho Chapter, Idaho National Board Representative
- Past President of the Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Idaho Shakespeare Theatre, Board of Directors
- Past President of Rotary Club, Boise Southwest
- Past President of Hillcrest Country Club
- Chairman of the Board, United Heritage Financial Group, 2000-present
- Chairman of the Board, United Heritage Life Insurance Company, 2000-present
- Co-author of “Medical Malpractice in Idaho: An Update,” 23 Idaho Law Review (1987)
- Author of articles in Physicians Management Magazine on Avoiding Medical Malpractice Claims.
- Author of medical/legal articles including: “Using Improvements in Medical Technology to Prove Timing of Newborn Brain Injury,” Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel Quarterly (1991)
- “Trial Techniques in Brain Damaged Baby Cases” in Boca Raton, Florida (1992)
- “Defending Against Enhanced Injury Cases” in Whistler, British Columbia (1994)
- “Techniques of Cross-Examination of Expert Witnesses” in London, England (1996)
- Several Idaho State Bar presentations on legal malpractice, trial practice and Civility in the Practice of Law.
- Harvard Law School (1969)
- University of Idaho Bachelor of Arts (1966), Cum Laude.
Court and Bar Admissions
- All Idaho state courts
- Washington state courts
- Idaho Court of Appeals
- Idaho Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Idaho
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Idaho State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association