Kevin J. Scanlan
1087 W River Street, Suite 300
Boise, ID 83702
Kevin J. Scanlan: A top Idaho litigator
For sixteen years, Kevin Scanlan’s career has centered on litigation and trial work in a broad range of cases, including professional liability, transportation law and other personal injury claims. He also regularly handles insurance coverage/bad faith actions, products liability lawsuits, toxic tort claims, and commercial litigation cases, such as actions for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
Mr. Scanlan’s trial experience includes cases involving allegations of medical malpractice, insurance coverage issues, construction disputes, breach of contract claims, and misappropriation of trade secrets. In addition to his work at the trial court level, Mr. Scanlan has also been involved shaping the law of Idaho through several significant decisions issued by Idaho’s appellate courts. These include: Swallow v. Emergency Medicine of Idaho, P.A., 138 Idaho 589, 67 P.3d 68 (2003)(establishing criteria for admissibility of expert opinion testimony based upon scientific knowledge); Greenough v. Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co. of Idaho, 142 Idaho 589, 130 P.2d 1127 (successfully overruling longstanding precedent regarding accrual of prejudgment interest in underinsured motorist cases); and Weeks v. Eastern Idaho Health Services, 143 Idaho 834, 153 P.3d 1180 (further clarifying the test for admission of expert opinion testimony based upon scientific knowledge).
Earlier in his career he obtained practical experience working with the King County, Washington and Boise City Prosecuting Attorney’s Offices. Mr. Scanlan is a founder of Duke Scanlan Hall.
Awards and Honors
- Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- Chambers USA – named a leading lawyer commercial litigation
- Mountain States Super Lawyer
- AV rated in Martindale Hubbell
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Board of Directors of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho, Inc. (President, 2001)
- Bishop Kelly Foundation Board of Directors
- Board of Directors of the Family Medicine Residency of Idaho, Inc.
- Instructor in business law at Boise State University
- Medical student proctor (overseeing a medical-legal rotation)
- Lectured on and written about various legal issues at professional seminars and meetings, and been published in a peer reviewed medical journal
- Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, Washington (1996), J.D. with honors
- Carroll College, Helena, Montana (1992), B.A (Business Administration with finance emphasis)
Court and Bar Admissions
- All Idaho state courts
- Idaho Court of Appeals
- Idaho Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Idaho
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Idaho State Bar Association
- American Bar Association